Wednesday, June 01, 2005
Micah World summer movie preview
Any excuse to put a pic of her up.
Memorial Day has come and gone, so that means only one thing: no more mattress sales until Labor Day. And summer movie season has begun! I've compiled a list of movies that I wouldn't mind handing over good money for (ranked in order of anticipation):
1) Land of the Dead (June 24): I loooooove zombie movies. This one is written and directed by the master of the genre, George Romero. The buildup for another zombie movie from him has been 20 years. I may be outing myself as a total geek, but this is definitely the summer movie that I want to see the most (next to Sith). Of course, everyone already knows of my geeky tendencies.
2) Batman Begins (June 17): I've been wanting to see a good Batman flick for years now. Clooney and his bat nipples are out. American Psycho is in. I'm buying Sno-Caps.
3) Untitled Mike Judge Project (aka 3001) (August 5): The comedic genius behind Office Space, "King of the Hill," and "Beavis and Butthead" finally makes another movie. No description is necessary.
4) War of the Worlds (June 29): Well, the trailer kicks butt. Cruise and Spielberg's last sci-fi effort (Lawnmower Man) was pretty good.
5) Mr. and Mrs. Smith (June 10): Hot damn! Angelina Jolie has never looked more radiant. Add some explosions and my man-crush on Brad Pitt and I'll fork over my $6.50 (no, I am never going to get rid of my student ID).
6) Fantastic Four (July 8): Next to the Punisher, Superman and Spiderman, the Fantastic Four were my favorite comic book heroes (again: geek). The Commish/Vic Mackey as Ben Grimm? Yep!
7) The Wedding Crashers (July 15): Vince Vaughn. Owen Wilson. Christopher Walken. A raunchy comedy. I'm there.
Honorable mention: Herbie: Fully Loaded (June 24). I doubt I'll watch this one in the theater, but it'll be nice to take a trip down Memory Lane to when Lindsay Lohan had schnoobs. Misty water-colored memories...
A Wash: The Island (July 22). I love Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor. I don't like Michael Bay. I have no clue what this movie's about. A little more research is needed on this one.
Oh, Dear Lord, Why?: The Honeymooners (June 10). Cedric the Entertainer as Ralph Kramden. This one should be sent to the moon.
Most Anticipated Movie That I Thought Was Coming Out This Summer But Is Indeed Coming Out This Fall: Strangers with Candy (October 28). I absolutely love the now-defunct TV show. If the strong un-PC humor is kept intact, this ought to be hilarious.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
At the risk of losing my Pop Culture cred, I'm woefully (blissfully?) unaware of most of this summer's movie crop.
However, I can guaran-frickin-tee that Wedding Crashers will feature a Ben Stiller cameo. No doubt about it.
CB - You broke my heart. Living in NYC shouldn't isolate you from this stuff. Anyway, I added links to all of the movies' sites, just for your benefit.
And I don't know about Stiller, but The Wedding Crashers does have a cameo from Will Ferrell.
I'm too busy urinating in the subway and reading Page Six to watch "Coming Attractions" on E!
And I've gotta ask: what's up with the Lawnmower Man reference. Am I missing out on an in-joke there?
I didn't know Cruise was in Lawnmower Man...
CB - You are soooooo NYC.
Just making you guys question reality. Of course, the movie in question is Minority Report - a very good movie. Lawnmower Man absoultely sucked (and I saw it at the theater).
Well, Philly is still boring enough that I am aware of most of the upcoming films this summer. I sooooooooo want to see Wedding Crashers and Batman Begins. Of course, I still haven't seen Star Wars, but after Shamrock panned it (and we know how gay he is for Star Wars) I wasn't exactly running out to see it.
CB - I agree w/Micah. You are soooo NYC. GD, I wish I had a life outside of EW and the internet...
So that solves it: move to the Midwest or Philly and you can participate in our Pop Culture Throwdowns.
I was excited about 3001 until I saw the cast. The annoying chick from SNL (Maya Rudolph)? The dude from "Punk'd"? Yeah...I'll just watch Office Space for the bazillionth time.
Dude, I will throw down any time, any place. And if we do it in my new hometown, we can have a decent bagel in the process. I will serve yo' asses...
I drive by a Mr/Mrs Smith billboard every morning. And every morning I almost get into an accident staring at Angelina...
Looking forward to Mr and Mrs Smith and Batman Begins. Though I have this funny feeling that I'll be disappointed with Batman...
I'm so waiting for Batman begins. I hope the new interpretation of the myth rocks!
I'm going to have a hard time not sneaking into a Batman matinee before the wedding festivities begin.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me this is the best summer slate in a while.
I too am awaiting the new War of the Worlds flick with great anticipation.
Micah, I challenge your title as King Geek, as I actually own the original George Pal film on DVD.
Oh yeah, I went there...
And by the way, I think I met your match at Simpsons trivia as well...
CB - Make it a whole wheat bagel and you're on.
Al - You, sir, are a lucky to have a daily distraction such as that.
Fikri - After Batman & Robin, this movie can only be an improvement.
Daldianus - You and me both.
Kristen - I've got to agree with you in that there seems to be a bunch of at least interesting movies this summer. Good to hear from you. I know the wedding's keeping you busy. I logged onto your blog only to find it deleted. 'Twas a sad day.
George - I've always bowed down to your sci-fi geekery, no question. But no one shall remove me from my Simpsons throne. Oh yes, I've thrown the gauntlet down.
I don't know brother. You'll have to come down here this summer and find out.
I can't fit any international trips into my schedule this summer. Maybe you should come to Vegas in August. It'll be a certain blogger's birthday.
The place where I join my favorite movie program with good movie system and quality is showbox apk. Application platform updates quickly the movie of the showboxvpn producer!
Post a Comment